For this week’s assignment you will analyze an organization to draft a global training and development plan that utilizes knowledge gained in this course and applies it to an organizational setting. Consider your current work environment, a prior work environment, or the work environment of someone you know as the setting for this plan. It is important that the organization is international, multi-national, or plans to become more global. It is expected that this plan will not be perfect but will be a draft that demonstrates how you can apply the concepts learned in this course to increase the intercultural competence and effectiveness of global leaders, teams, and organizations. We will only be focusing on how to analyze the organization for this training, not actually develop the training.
Analyze an organization (4 pages)
- Describe the chosen organization and the reason for creating a global training and development plan. Include an overview of the organization’s industry, mission, countries of business, organizational structure, leadership, and current training.
- Identify at least two current cultural, global, or diversity issues or trends in or affecting the organization.
- Summarize the issues that are important to explore or consider in developing the global training and development plan based on the information provided in A and B.
- Summarize how intercultural competence is addressed by the industry or field of the chosen organization. What considerations regarding the industry or field should be made in developing training initiatives for this organization? If these issues are currently being addressed, describe how and evaluate these applications for improvements and gaps.
- Describe at least two social, political, and/or historical contexts (i.e., consider the culture or country) influencing the organization and the development of employees’ intercultural competence. What considerations regarding these contexts should be made in developing training initiatives for this organization? If these contexts are currently being addressed, describe how and evaluate these applications for improvements and gaps.
- Assess the four critical dimensions that help explain differences in cultural expectations: egalitarianism vs. hierarchy; individualism vs. collectivism; achievement vs. relationship orientation; and loose vs. tight structure (Hofstede Centre, n.d.; Weech, 2001). How do each of these relate to the chosen organization and its global training efforts? What considerations need to be made to address the expectations identified by these dimensions in the creation of this training plan?
- Describe the overall goal or outcome of the global training and development plan based on the needs assessment and gap analysis conducted via B-F. This should be a broad statement about what is expected of learners, focusing on the target to be achieved.
- Describe the organization’s learners in terms of their backgrounds; pre-existing knowledge, skills, or conditions; cultural dimensions that apply to the cultures of focus; expectations of training; and obstacles or barriers to learning.
The following from the Recommended Resources may be useful in completing the various sections of this assignment and further knowledge on creating training and development plans:
- ADDIE Design Model: Martin (n.d.) and Strickland (n.d.)
- Design: Instructional Design Central (2012) and Kern Learning Solutions (2008)
- Ethics: AEA (2004, 2013), APA (2010), and Hatcher (2002a, 2002b)
- Evaluation: Steensma & Groeneveld (2010)
- Writing Objectives: Bixler (2011) and Forrest (2003)