Select one of the following: John Steinbeck, â€œThe Chrysanthemums;â€ Charlotte Perkins Gilman, â€œThe Yellow Wallpaper;â€ Ursula Le Guin, â€œThe Ones who Walk Away from the Omelas;â€ Shirley Jackson, â€œThe Lottery;â€ Sherman Alexie, â€œThis Is What It Means to Say Phoenix, Arizona;â€ Ha Jin, â€œSaboteur 0â€
Draft: Write a 700-word essay that responds to the following questions:
- What is the name of the story? The author? Year published?
- What is the story about? (short paragraph)
- Who is the main character and what are the main qualities?
- What elements are repeated?
- Why or how are they functioning as symbols?
- Think of an updated version of the story. How would you modify the story to make it take place now? Describe the names, places, and other elements.
- DIY Blockbuster! A lot of movies and television series are based on updates and modifications of classics. Hereâ€™s a chance to create your own.